Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

To you -- looking at your wonderful site. I have a two year

Customer Question
Hi there, good afternoon to...
Hi there, good afternoon to you -- looking at your wonderful site. I have a two year old keet that is happy and we all love, but his right leg appears to be paralyzed and no longer used. He has a tough time getting around his cage, but still eats (we re-engineered his cage to make life easier) and still drinks and preens (wheew)...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There isn't and visible signs of injury - it does stay open about 20 percent wider than his non-injured foot.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: CK, for Crazy Keet...lot's of fun!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Keet?
Customer: Slight paralysis has happened in his right foot before...then it goes away. This time it is a lot more pronounced and impacts his mobility. Fresh seeds, lettuce, and water each day -
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
9/5/2016
Bird Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with CK. I like what the CK stands for. How long has he not been using that right leg? Is he holding it up? Does he even attempt to grip or move it now? Is the non-injured leg normal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks Dr. Bruce - his right leg has been in non-use for 26 hours, and others have said three days is the most a budgie will tolerate this injury. He does hold it up, and open (not the normal closed and retracted position.) He makes no attempt to use the injured leg; he uses his left leg and beak to get around. He maintains a cheerful demeanor as other sick birds do, but knowing the bird, I can see he's disturbed. Thanks for any guidance!

That is good that he's still maintaining his normal demeanor despite this situation. Can he improve the use of that leg or is this permanent? That is the unknown at this time. It honestly sounds like your doing the best for him at this time - making that cage as easily accessible for him as possible. I always recommend removing perches in the cage and moving everything to the bottom of the cage so they can access everything without having to be that "vertical". Can this improve with time? I would say it is a hopeful possibility. Could he have injured it and it isn't broke? Could he have just tweeked it? In 3 days, it should be more apparent as to how things are going to turn out. As far as if this is the new way he will be, he can still be a happy and social bird as you're seeing right now. There isn't anything specific you can do to treat his leg at this time unfortunately except to help him be in as safe of a place as possible.

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist