Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

I have a cockatiel that wants to sleep most of the time and

Customer Question
when we let him out...
I have a cockatiel that wants to sleep most of the time and when we let him out his cage to play he flies to a window sill to look out into the yard as usual, but when he flies to the window now he is all out of breath, and his heart is beating fast. He also appears paralyzed after landing on the window sill now. My wife and I have been keeping an eye on him now after he lands to make sure he doesn't fall to the floor 5 feet below the window sill. The bird is 9 years old and has been babied all of his life. Does he antibiotics ??
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/1/2016
Bird Specialist: nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon replied 1 year ago
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I have to say that I am quite concerned about Sprite.

If he has been showing reduced activity, sleeping more, winded after a short flight that used to be no issue, and is still after landing, this really raises concerns about his oxygenation. This suggests that his body isn't getting enough oxygen to move normally. This could be due to a lung infection (ie pneumonia) but also could be secondary to heart issues or even low red blood cell levels (which could be due to internal bleeding, failure of the marrow to make red blood cells, or even related to his immune system destroying the cells). And I have to say that if he is getting this stressed with a short flight and is having to be so subdued before he has enough oxygen for his cells, we'd not want to risk him to OTC antibiotics.

Therefore, in this case, we'd really want to have him seen right away by his local avian vet. They can put him on oxygen to help him but also listen to +/- xray his lungs and heart to rule out issues there. If those are clear and his vet suspects red blood cell issues, then this can be tested for to. That way we can get to the root of this quickly and treat to give him the best chance of recovery.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon