Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

The nostrils are very dark, I've had her since 2014 july, 2

Customer Question

The nostrils are very dark
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: I've had her since 2014 july
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the bird?
Customer: 2 years
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: I had 2 parakeets. One died yesterday. His nostrils were very dark as well
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that I must change died, which I am doing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Diet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

It's not clear to me what "very dark nostrils" implies. Is there a dark exudate inside her nostrils as might arise when nasal discharge dries? Has your parakeet been bleeding, sneezing, or suffering from a "runny nose"?

It's true that nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of her diet. A diet of mainly seed and nuts has excessive fat, carbohydrates, and phosphorus; marginal protein; adequate vitamin E, and are deficient in amino acids, calcium, available phosphorus, sodium, manganese, zinc, iron, vitamins A, D3 (necessary for efficient absorption of calcium), K, and B12, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, choline, and available niacin. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.