Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

We took her to the vet last week because she has been losing

Customer Question
feathers around her neck. The...
We took her to the vet last week because she has been losing feathers around her neck. The vet examined her and concluded that her body condition is very good in every other way, and suggested it may be related to stress. We have begun diffusing lavender/chamomile oil in the air, and covering her at night. But yesterday morning she had a bout of leg paralysis in her right leg. It was very brief, and she was fine afterwards. This morning I noticed (what looked like) some blood in her stool (though she has had all normal stool this afternoon), but then this evening she had another bout of leg paralysis. The only veterinary clinics that are open now do NOT specialize in birds at all, so I am reluctant to take her there as it will cause her so much stress.... but I am wondering if there is anything simple they could do to prevent this from worsening until I get her into our regular vet tomorrow?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There is not.
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Monster. Age approx 8
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Monster?
Customer: She's in a new cage, but it is professionally finished like her last one, so I can't see there being anything toxic in the paint, but now I'm paranoid
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
7/4/2016
Bird Specialist: Sophie Knafo, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Sophie Knafo
Sophie Knafo, Veterinarian

Hi, This is Dr. Knafo. I am very sorry to hear that Monster is having these issues. I will try my best to provide guidance and advice regarding Monster's care. It would be helpful to know the species of bird that Monster is. I see she is 8 years old and in a new cage. Was this a cage that was purchased from a store or hand made by someone? Does she have access to roam through the house outside of the cage? My major worries when a bird has intermittent paralysis (or neurologic signs) and blood in the feces or rates is toxicity. The most common toxicity I see where I practice is zinc and lead. Its in more products than we realize (venetian blinds, many plastics, even bird toys themselves can be a source). What geographic region are you in? Is your house older and could possibly have lead based paint on moldings, etc? In addition to metal toxicity, another possible cause of intermittent leg weakness or paralysis in parrots is heart disease that has progressed to cause a reduction in blood flow to the affected leg or wing. This is called "claudication-like syndrome." It is the result of atherosclerosis just like people get and is more common in certain species of parrots than others. I would recommend that you encourage your bird to eat and drink as much as possible today, keep her quiet and minimize her stress and stimulation until you can get her to an avian vet tomorrow. If you have the ability to get her to an emergency clinic, I would recommend that as they can at least give her fluids and start any necessary medications like antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications, etc. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. I sincerely ***** ***** has a quick recovery! Best of luck. Take care.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-pxm1l4xx-
Sophie Knafo
Sophie Knafo
Sophie Knafo, Veterinarian