How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Bird
Satisfied Customers: 29730
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Bird Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2 of my chickens have a bulge under their vent that is hot

Customer Question

2 of my chickens have a bulge under their vent that is hot and red. One of them looks like it might have torn open a little and healed back. They both look uncomfortable and have trouble sitting. Could this be e coli or salmonella? How do I treat it? I am giving electrolytes today but wonder if I should give antibiotics and what kind and how much. I have never had chickens before, please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Katrina, I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. "A bulge under their vent..." is unclear to me. I suspect that the vent itself is prolapsed. Please see here and tell me if a prolapsed vent is what you're seeing: