nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

Her bottom area or vent all swilling yellow colour. I think

Customer Question

Her bottom area or vent all swilling yellow colour .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the bird?
Customer: I think has yolk stuck . Roll her on back big yellow ball looking at you
JA: What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: It's a airy bird, she is about 4 years , one of my good breeders.
JA: What is the bird's name?
Customer: Bluey
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bluey?
Customer: No normal feathers look good eyes ok , just bluey can't sit probably cause this swolling thing ,could bluey be egg bound
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this been present?

Does it look to be protruding from the vent?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hope this works about bluey
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did u get my photo
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I did. Though the photo is a bit out of focus. Therefore, can you tell me:

How long has she been like this?

Are her oral mucosa ("gums") also yellow?

Is that a tear on the top margin or a blood clot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black thing is a tear, I just put some salt on her vent big lot cream colour and poo came out . But seem to be moving around and eating still . What is the big yellow thing .never seen it before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found her today like it , maybe two days
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Oh dear,

Based on its appearance, I would be concerned that we have prolapsed and discolored vent tissue. We can see peri-vent masses appear like this but usually they are visualized before they can get to this size. So, hopefully that is less likely for her. In any case, if that is a tear, then we may have tissue dying due to being devitalized while out.

With this in mind and even though she is otherwise herself (though birds often fake like all is well until situations are advanced), this is something we will need her local avian vet to check. If it didn't reduce with your salt treatment, we may have too severe inflammation. And if the tissue is compromised and starting to break down, we'd need to have it resected to avoid secondary infection for her.

Overall, these would be our 2 concerns (how it is attached the vent can help us determine which is most likely), but in either cases we need to have this checked if it is starting to break down since decaying tissue can lead to serious complications for our wee birds.

Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/), Avian web(http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm) or Birdsnway(http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )