Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

How can you diagnosis what happened to my bird without

Customer Question

How can you diagnosis what happened to my bird without looking at it ?
Vets in Lubbock, TX cannot tell what happened to her ?
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anyone there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doctor,My white rink neck dove is suddenly sick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She looked fluffed, does not eat or drink water well. Look's very tired and weak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is very weak and tired.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. You're correct to understand that diagnosing birds can be very difficult even when I can see them. Unfortunately, her fluffing, inappetence, and malaise can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues in doves. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of such a presentation, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests, X-rays, and physical exams to differentiate one from another. Most important, once a dove appears ill, it's quite ill. This is a protective mechanism because sick birds are attacked by other birds in the wild. Pragmatically speaking, it would be prudent to initiate a broad spectrum antibiotic in case she suffers from an undiagnosed bacterial infection. Ideally, she should be attended to by an avian vet whom you can find here: www.aav.org/ Click on "resources" and then "find a vet" in the drop down menu.

I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this question. Please stay in this conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DrMichaelSalkin