Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

My parrot has chewed off its toes : Xica 7 years old : My

Customer Question
My parrot has chewed off...
My parrot has chewed off its toes
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the bird's name and age?
Customer: Xica 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Xci?
Customer: My mother who spends most of the time with her has been out of town and my aunt has apparently not done a good job of watching her
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Bird
5/28/2016
Bird Specialist: Dr Chris, Avian Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Avian Veterinarian

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Xica is having troubles with his toes. I will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

1) Which foot and which toes appear to be affected? Are the toes completely missing?

2) Is Xica currently bleeding from the site?

3) What species of parrot is Xica?

4) Is Xica known to have any other health problems? Or on any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's knawled off some toes, she just doesn't look good. No other health problems, she is a Quaker parrot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No bleeding, it looks like it was a while ago

Okay. Does she appear otherwise in a stable condition: alert, responsive, eating? Or does she appear quiet and depressed?

Are you able to take a photo of her toes at all and upload it here?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No her usual self, I went to check I her earlier I don't live there with my mom. My aunt is supposed to be taking care of her. behavior is unusual, flying into walls, skiddish.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Her toes are pink and fleshy colored not scaly
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know if shes eating, the top of her head is losing feathers, all her other feathers are in disarray
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Chewed up and not looking normal

Hmm. I definitely do not like the sound of those fleshy coloured toes. Does she appear itchy? Do you see her doing more grooming than normal, or even feather plucking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess she's been stressed with out my mom and has been chewing them

The biggest concern about missing toes, particular ones that have been bitten off, is the risk of infection to the remaining bones of the toe. We call this "osteomyelitis" and is very painful and serious. Birds are unfortunately very good at hiding their pain as an adaptation to survival (they do not want to look vulnerable in the wild). With osteomyelitis, the infection tends to start from the wound and progress upwards (ascending) towards the body. It usually requires a course of antibiotics to stop the infection. The best way to assess if there is bone infection is with an xray at your local vet. It sounds like from the condition of her feathers, that it she might benefit from a general check-up as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I will do so, thank yoU
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I keep her confined? She keeps flying into walls, and won't let me near her to clip her wings

I would do. It is a good idea to keep her from accidentally knocking her toes at high speed and injuring them any further. I'm sure the vet will be happy to clip her wings for you at her check-up if you are having trouble at home.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking.

If you don't mind, could you please give my answer a rating at the top of this page? Otherwise the website will not reimburse me for my time. Thanks.

Thanks for using this service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello again, I have another question

Sure, go ahead. Sorry about the delay. I was asleep and then at my day job up until now.

Dr Chris
Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Avian Veterinarian