Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I tried to move my new, preowned sun conure to her new

Customer Question
I tried to move...

I tried to move my new, preowned sun conure to her new enclosure because her old cage from last owner was filthy. She started flipping around all crazy and then went kind of limp..and then seemed to be panting I am fully prepared for conures but I have never seen a bird do this. At first she could barely stand up right but now she is perched. I put her back in her old cage after trying to calm her..hoping she would not be so stressed

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Over the phone maybe? Is there a number to call?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
3/2/2016
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 2 years ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist

Hello, I just got notice of your question and I'm sorry for whatever caused the delay. I would expect that your conure has settled down now that you've returned her to her previous cage and I commend you for doing that, good instincts!

I'll be happy to work with you and your new gal in assimilating her into not only her new home, but the new environment (cage) that you have intended for her.

There's a way to do this that will not only work for her, but you as well - and the bonus is that it should bond the two of you.

If you'd like to do this let me know - and if there's even a single remaining concern you have, let me know that too.

To prepare, tell me the details of 'sunny's' past and what you have in mind for her with you. Don't forget to include what the previous owners fed her, how long you've had her - and your experience with birds like this

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS