Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

OMg what a great surprise! I'm here because i'm worried my…

Customer Question
Hey, OMg what a...

Hey, OMg what a great surprise! I'm here because i'm worried my canary is not feeling well, it has been two weeks since i heard him sing He is 10 months old approx, im sure he is a male I live in Canada and it is pretty cold outside right now so im not sure taking him uot to the vet is a good idea he has a healthy diet, showers often and he was fine suddenly he started molting and has not sang since, today i feel like he is a bit weaker he is hanging around the bottom of the cage, which is not was he usualy does

Veterinarian's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I feel like he is sick, i have had him for 5 months now. This is our first winter together and we do not get a lot of sun, max 4/5 hrs a day. He is hanging in a great spot. He started singing less than 10 mns after i got him and put him in the spot he is at i didnt change his diet, he still takes baths (today did not want), and he sings so great. Even at night when he is supposed to be sleeping. I know i had a happy bird. but since two weeks, he started molting and went completely silent today, for the first time, i see he barely has energy to move (because when i open the cage and put my hand in he usually flies around, today he remained in the corner at he bottom of the cage)

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Molting commonly will temporarily stop even the most prolific singer from singing. It's also a stressful time because he's using up his reserves of protein and calcium in order to make new feathers. Please tell me what his diet has consisted of. Nutritional imbalances are a common cause of illness in our pet birds. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.

Let's help him maintain his body heat by heating up his environment to 85F by means of a 100W bulb shined into his partially covered cage (not at night when he needs to rest) or by taping a heating pad set on its lowest setting to the sides of his cage. He appears weakened and so remove his perches and put his food and water on the bottom of the cage along with him. Add a water soluble avian vitamin such as Oasis brand to his water at half of the recommended dose so as not to make his water distasteful. Add a calcium supplement such as Calcivet or Calciboost to his water. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores. Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in his water.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.