Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a couple of Jenday Conures One of them got hurt

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Pat. My name is***** have a couple of Jenday Conures One of them got hurt yesterday when it hit the ceiling fan. It has got a small scratch in its neck and is not using one of his legs fully.. It is 24 hours since the accident has happened. I did call the local pet store for them to send their experienced people to check yday itself. It flew to the top again, hopped around. It didnt use that leg at all yday, I massaged it once in 3 hours and today it puts weight on both the legs and moves around in the cage I went to a local vet here, he didnt do any xray but said that since it uses both its legs to walk around, it isnt a fracture and doesnt require any splint. He gave some calcium and mineral supplements to add to the water My concern is, when will the bird use both the legs normally and it has become so silent now (probably due to trauma) I try to cheer it up and the other mate plays with it. I am heartbroken and helpless! how long does it take for the bird to come out of trauma? It eats and drinks water as per its need, and poops regularly. Any help/advice?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just did, can you please read my messages?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Bird Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Bird
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
HI, I am sorry but Dr Pat has not be online in a long time. Would you like me to open your question to other Experts?
Thank you,
Camille-Mod
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will I get a response?
Thank you. I am sorry but it is impossible to predict as we have very few Bird experts and they come in randomly. Thank you for your continued patience as we await a Bird expert for you.
Camille - Mod
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. As my moderator stated, we don't have many avian vets on this site. The time it will take for your conure to normalize is predicated upon how serious he was injured. His vet was correct to tell you that since he's placing both legs, a fracture isn't likely. He's not acting shocky but, instead, traumatized and painful. Thankfully, the very high rate of metabolism in these birds allows them to heal very quickly. He may normalize in as little as a week or less. You can dissolve an adult aspirin (325 mg) in one pint (473 mL) of drinking water and that should reduce pain and inflammation nicely. You should separate him from his cage mate by placing two cages adjacent to each other. Keep his environment heated up to 29.4C which will combat stress and save his energy for healing. Adding the supplements is reasonable but I'd like to hear what his diet has consisted of, please. Seeds should compose less than 20% of his diet. Ideally, a balanced pelleted diet such as can be found here: www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com or here: www.lafeber.com/pet-birds should be fed as well as hard boiled egg yolk, pancakes and cornbread, the tops of fresh greens, dairy products such as yogurt and cheese, fresh fruits such as apples, pears, melon, kiwi, and berries, vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, beets, asparagus, cabbage, sweet potato, and squash, and even tiny pieces of meat.