Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

Im wondering about how to prevent my quaker from becoming…

Customer Question
im wondering about how to...
im wondering about how to prevent my quaker from becoming egg bound again. I ALMOST lost her and she is still recovering from having an egg that was too large removed. she was at the vets twice!.er vet hospital for almost four days..then egg puncture n removal yesterday. do not want to do monthly shots heard there was a more long lasting surgical answer. Have spent almost two months rent on her vet bills..n my rent takes half of my take home pay.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/12/2016
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in avian health. I'm sorry to hear your quaker is having this problem. There are surgical alternatives. Most commonly, the bird is "spayed," with the removal of reproductive organs to prevent the development of eggs. Surgery in birds is risky, so you have to weigh the risks versus the benefits. A bird with chronic egg binding problems is at risk of dying from that problem. It often is the eventual outcome for a bird who becomes egg bound repeatedly. In such a case, the benefits of surgery probably outweigh the risk. I once had a cockatiel with this problem. She was spayed, and recovered uneventfully. She lived along life after that. However, a small percentage of birds do die during or after the surgery. Here is a site where you can read a case history of a bird that was spayed:

http://www.avianexoticsvet.com/showItem.php?article_id=140&cm=y

There is a newer procedure called Laser Ovarian Vaporization, or LOV for short. LOV is only performed in a few select hospitals, mostly in the Northeast. It is less invasive that regular surgery, but general anesthesia is still required.

Regardless of the option you choose, it is essential to find a veterinary surgeon who is experienced with avian surgery. Many local vets simply will not do it. That's why they suggest the hormone injections. If you want to further investigate surgery, the next step would be to contact a specialist. They are often located in state veterinary training colleges. Here is a state-by-state directory of them. Just scroll down and click on your state.

http://www.jugglingcats.com/vet_teaching_hospitals/veterinary_teaching_hospitals.htm

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I hope that whatever you decide to do - surgery or injections- it will work out well for your quaker.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!