Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

I live in Calgary, AB in Canada. We have been feeding a crow

Customer Question
Hello, I live in Calgary, AB...
I live in Calgary, AB in Canada. We have been feeding a crow with a broken wing since March this year (it is now December). Crows are migratory birds that don't stay here during the winter so I was wondering what we could do to help Larry (the flightless crow) and his mate who has decided to stay with him even though she can fly.
We feed them a diet of dog and cat food aswell as seed and water. Is there anything else we could do? Has anyone ever been successful building a crow roost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/3/2015
Bird Specialist: Dr. Pat, Avian Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Avian Veterinarian

I work as a wildlife vet, and my particular interest is wild birds. Can you describe how they live and how they interact with you?

Where do they roost now? Can you control that environment?

Your local wildlife rescue and rehab organization may have helpful advice. Be certain that they understand you are not requesting a rescue but want to leave them in the wild.

They are ominvores, but cat and dog food is not really adequate. You might want to invest in a high quality bird pellet (The corvids under my care are fed Harrison's high potency coarse) plus fruit/veg/mice. They are quite fond of cooked yams/sweet potatoes.

August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist