Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

Jill, I have a nesting box up parakeets which has an egg in

Customer Question

Hi Jill, I'm Kathy. I have a nesting box up for my parakeets which has an egg in it. My question is I have put 3 different types of nesting material and every time my female has pulled it all out. The egg is nesting on the bare wood of the box. Should I be concerned?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello Kathy. The expert you originally requested is not available. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds. Your female views the materials you are putting in the box as an intrusion. Try putting them on the cage floor or wedged in between the cage wires. She may then choose the ones she likes and make a nest. Some birds also pull out some of their own downy feathers to use in the nest box. At this point, I wouldn't be too concerned. There is nothing you can do about the situation anyway. There's no way to force her to leave materials in the box. It's best to let nature take its course. First time parents sometimes don't quite know what to do with their eggs and babies, but they learn with experience. First-time eggs may not even be fertile. After your female has her full clutch laid and decides to sit on the eggs, she may realize she needs some material in the box. The best thing to do is just make the nesting material available without putting it in the best box. If you have more questions, let me know in a reply. I wish you success with the breeding. Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hi again. Have you had a chance to try my suggestions? Let me know how things are going.

Anna