Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

My parakeet is nine yrs old, sometime she goes to bathroom,

Customer Question

My parakeet is nine yrs old, sometime she goes to bathroom, sometimes not the rectum is now red and sticking out and sometimes goes back in what to do?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of this problem.

June is suffering from a prolapse. A prolapse can be caused by different conditions from bacterial infections to straining to pass droppings to hemorrhoids. In females, prolapses are often related to egg-laying difficulties. Treatment varies, depending on the cause. The best thing to do is have her treated by an avian vet as soon as you can. The vet can replace the prolapse in the bird's body(and perhaps place stitches so it can't come out again) , and administer antibiotics to prevent infection. Sometimes surgery is necessary. This link will take you to a directory of avian vets:

http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm

Until you can get to a vet, the prolapse should be kept moist. You can use a water-based lubricant, such as K-Y Jelly. Some people use K-Y Jelly and push the prolapse back in, but I recommend leaving that to a vet. It's easy to do more harm than good. The following site has more information on prolapses:

http://www.avianweb.com/Prolapse.htm

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope June will reach a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about June. How is everything going?
Anna