Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

I bought a blue and gold macaw she 5 years old she has been

Customer Question
neglected no body was sped...
I bought a blue and gold macaw she 5 years old she has been neglected no body was sped in time with her and every time I get close to her she make awk sound like she scared it goes on and on what shod I do to get her not scared any more
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
9/19/2015
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of your macaw's past.

You have undertaken a difficult project, and it will take a lot of time and patience. She is very stressed right now. She's been moved, and is in a strange place with people she doesn't know. She'll need some time to acclimate to her surroundings. For the first week, it would be a good idea to keep her cage partially covered to make her feel more secure. Put the cage in a room where you spend a lot of time. That will help her get used to your presence and to help her realize that when you move about, she's not in danger. Talk softly to her from outside the cage, but don't try to put your hand in until she feels comfortable in your home. For many birds, that will be after about two weeks of becoming accustomed to family activities and listening to you talk from outside the cage. At that point, you can offer her a treat, or just let your hand rest quietly in the cage. when she's at ease with that, gently rub your finger on her breast, just above the legs. That may encourage her to get on your finger. There are no shortcuts to taming - you'll need patience and will simply have to spend time at each stage before moving on. If you move on to a next step and she seems scared, you'll need to back up to the previous stage. There simply is no substitute for patience and time.

If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I wish you success.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Hi
Yesterday I cover her cage and she was relaxed .
Today in the morning my wife call her she comes to her she start dancing and give high 5 she likes my wife but still when I get close to her she moves away but without the awk sound and she bond with me too and I have african gery female already bond with me do you think this will effect me to with my blue and gold macaw I want to bond with my blue and gold so bad thanks

Hi. It does sound like you and your wife are making some progress. You being bonded to your grey should not affect your ability to bond with the blue and gold macaw. Your macaw may not have had good experiences with men in the past. That would make it take longer for her to warm up to you. Just give her all the time she needs.

Hi
I think she scares from me cuz when I bought her I had to grab her with to Towle cuz her owner she wasn't taking good care of her and thay left her nail with triming fo 2 years since she had her and no body can hold her and put her in the travel cage and she has really long curve nail every time she climb on the cage her nail stuck so I had to do it again and rap her in the Towle so I can cut her nail I think that why she does not trust me

Yes, that would explain it. I hope you'll now be able to proceed through the taming process so she'll learn to trust you.

What should I do to gain her trust back but the good thing that she is not screen awk any more sometime she eat from my hand and sometime when I get close her she moves back and i spent almost 4 hours with almost every day and they used to feed her lots of defrent seeds I Change her to good diet pellet .and what the crazy thing is one day she click with my wife and I am the only one who clean the cage and put the food for her and taking care of her I am dieing to trust me at the first I rushed things with her use a perch to let her come down and take to the park and she was screaming and I stop and ask for help

Just do the things I outlined in my first post to you. As I stated there, there are no shortcuts. It will just take time and patience. Just go back and read that post again.

One more I bought and was already plucking her inner thigh and under her wing and almost every second day I see new baby feather I Change her diet for seed and nuts zupreem pellet do think this will cuz her to pluck more

Changed not her diet should not cause more plucking. The stress of moving to a new home may. Try to keep everything around her calm. Because plucking is often caused by a medical problem, I do suggest having a vet examine your new bird.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would rate my service - I do not get paid for my time until you do. Thank you very much. Anna

Hi Moe,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Goldei. How is everything going?
Anna
Hi
She bonded with my two boys and my wife but me and my daughter not yet my daughter is 5 years old the brid was on the floor and she was going after my daugther to bite her .she takes seed from me but when she full she stays away one she got colse to my lips and she was sticking her taunge and feel my lips for 1 minte and then she move back the boy on is 11 and one is 8 years

I really don't have any more ideas for you. I've given you things to try. The bird shouldn't be out free at this point. She hadn't had enough time to adjust. I am going to opt out of your question, which will open your question to other experts. Perhaps someone else will have an idea for you.

Anna
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist