nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Experience:  I am a veterinarian with extensive experience in avian medicine.
60269376

I have been given antibiotics to put in my budgies water but

Customer Question

i have been given antibiotics to put in my budgies water but i am worried he is not drinking it is there anyway i can get him to drink the water, he is sick and is floor bound atm i have dropped all the water and food to the ground and have lowered his perches and i am having to give him a bath everyday to wash poo off his bottom which he doesnt seem to like very much but it needs to be done, i also have a light next to his cage so that he can keep warm after i bath him
Category: Bird
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

This is a real concern for Brutus, as we do not want to cause dehydration as we ae trying to treat him. Therefore, in this case you can try to flavor the water with something more palatable (ie flavored Pedialyte, a small amount of fruit juice). Alternatively, you could request your vet give you the dosing rate for his weight to give this directly. That way you can medicate him by mouth to ensure he gets his medication in the correct dose while not risking him going off water in an attempt to avoid treatment.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )