Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

My parrot suddenly started plucking s chest and I noticed an

Customer Question
My parrot suddenly started plucking...
My parrot suddenly started plucking his chest and I noticed an almost golf ball sized, serous fluid filled, cyst like mass on his upper chest/base of the neck. What could this be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
He is a 6 year old male cockatoo who had never plucked before. There is no erythema, warmth, or induration. The area is somewhat translucent with serous fluid inside. He has seemed more reserved lately.
I can palpate many BB sized masses within the area. These appear to be white in color. They are not fixed and are easily movable.
8/30/2015
Bird Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You appear to be describing his crop which is full of seed. It wouldn't be as apparent as it is if he hadn't removed the feathers over it. Please see here and let me know if this "cyst like mass" is where the crop is found: http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMAG0650.jpg

Thank you for the pic. If it represents the crop, you don't need to do anything. It's a normal structure of birds. As it fills when he eats it will bulge out more. When it empties throughout the night it will become smaller. Addressing feather picking is a different story...

The etiology of feather picking/chewing/self-mutilation can be a challenge to determine particularly if you don't have an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) available where you live. Both medical and behavioral causes exist.

Birds usually chew the breast feathers and areas under the wing and around the legs but any pattern can present. Feathers on the head remain unless a molt or medical disorder is present. Medical disorders include viral infections such as psittacine beak and feather disease or polyomavirus, bacterial folliculitis, dermal parasites, yeast infection, and topical irritants need to be considered as well. Rarely do birds feather pick due to external parasites. Less commonly, infection with the protozoan parasite Giardia spp. will cause picking of the feathers over the ventral (lower) abdomen and heavy metal ingestion such as zinc can cause a feather-picking toxicosis due to chewing on zinc-plated cages. Anecdotal reports suggest that a unilateral (one-sided) pattern of picking may indicate a disease process under the area of picking such as ovarian or renal disorders.

There are many rule-outs for behavioral feather picking including improper socialization when raised by humans resulting in phobic birds or those with obsessive-compulsive disorders - which should be a consideration when this behavior is preceded by a molt. A traumatic event can cause a bird to become nervous and pick; anecdotal examples abound such as witnessing an attack by a hawk outside the window at a bird feeder, the owner leaving for vacation, a change in the color of the cage, a nervous owner, and the death of a mate or owner. Some birds improve in a new home with a new owner for unknown reasons.

Here's where an avian-oriented vet will be necessary...

All possible medical causes for a bird's feather picking are evaluated first; then if no medical cause is found, behavioral causes are explored or presumptively treated with psychotherapeutic drugs such as clomipramine which would need to be prescribed by a vet. A complete blood count and biochemical profile, blood lead and serum zinc test (Louisiana Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory can run this test on just 0.1ml of blood and serum), X-rays, psittacine beak and feather disease test, and fecal ova and parasite exam and fecal ELISA test for Giardia spp., if necessary, are performed along with a feather follicle biopsy and culture. Consider the introduction of toxins into his environment as well - the great majority of which can’t be tested for.

General and presumptive treatment includes removing any stressors, improving his diet and restoring what he perceives as a normal environment. Consider clomipramine which works well in true obsessive-compulsive disorders. Distracting him with toys and a "sweater" over the area may help but be sure that he can also engage in normal and necessary preening behavior. A collar isn't recommended as it doesn't allow him to engage in normal preening behavior, normal feeding behavior, and normal movement. A collar should only be used if he's in imminent danger of hurting himself (self-mutilation). Finally, many birds normalize once their molt is complete and so simply "watchful waiting" may be appropriate at that time.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Teniele,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
bigislandvet
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian