Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Experience:  Have owned and/or raised parakeets, finches, cockatiels, and poultry over a period of thirty years.
6012901

I have two parakeets living outside my house on Island. I am

Customer Question

I have two parakeets living outside my house on Long Island.
I am worried about their safety as the winter approaches
They tried to go inside a song bird house but the hole is too small. I was considering making an outdoor house for them but not sure about heating systems and if they can survive at all.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also see a company called 'heatal' that sells mini heaters or solar kits for birdhouses and was thinking about trying this but not sure if it is worth it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that there are several wildlife doctors available. Dr. Dan seems to be knowledgeable with parakeets? I am home,the number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any wildlife expert with knowledge of parakeets can call me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Heading outside to check on the parakeets and garden. Since nobody has called, please write to me and guide me as to what I should do to save these two little guys. They really love out there, and if I can provide a warm home, can they live? And how do I provide a warm home for them without making it too hot??
Thanks so much!!
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I am not set up to do phone calls, but I can help you here.
You are right to be concerned. The parakeets may be able to do well during the summer and fall, but cannot survive the cold of winter. It would be best to catch them. The birds will be upset by losing their newfound freedom, but may also be relieved to be back in a familiar environment. I had a similar experience this past spring with a cockatiel. He quickly re-adjusted to life in captivity.
I would set out an open cage with food in it, in hopes they will go in it.Check with your local animal shelters and the lost ads in the newspapers to see if someone is looking for them. If you can't find an owner, and you don't want to keep the parakeets, there are bird rescuers who would take them. I can find some for you if you'd like.
Even if you provided a heated house, the birds would be unlikely to survive. They would need to go out to find food. Their native climate is hot and dry. They don't do well with temperature changes and cold weather.
If you have more questions, or need a rescue group, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. It's very kind of you to care about these parakeets, and I hope you'll be able to catch them or find someone who can.
Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Have you had any luck catching the birds or finding out if they are someone's lost pets? I hope so.

Anna

Expert:  Anna replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Anna