Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have a sun conure that is 17 years old Last week she

Customer Question

Hello dr lisa
I have a sun conure that is 17 years old
Last week she started to wobblre and become off balance and not eating & drinking unless i hand feed her..she will occasionaly eat from her owl, but i have not seen her drink from her bowl yet..i have to spoon drink her...
She always ate good seed , grapes, watermellon, strawberries, rasberries, blackbearries, peaches, a taste of yogert and ice cream..never alot at any one time...drink oj, grape juice, cranberry, strawberry banna juice milk...but always fresh water evry day
Cage cleaned no longer than 2 months..she was trained to leave and poop outside on paper..
She felt a little competetition when i got married 6 years ago and a little negleglected for the last two years after the birth of our son but never for care,... Just attention...to compete she laid 21 eggs in three years
I took her and a stool sample to the vet..the sample was good..no bacteria...x-ray good...good liver and kidneys.she seized at the vets..
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I agree that the history you provided and the testing that was appropriately carried out points to a primary brain disorder resulting in her behavior. Brain tumor is most likely at her age although stroke and infections need to be considered as well. Her life expectancy at birth was 20-30 years. You're at the point that if you need to consider force feeding her for more than a week, euthanasia should be considered. It's reasonable to administer antibiotics and supplements such as calcium (Calciboost, Calcivet, e.g.) and vitamins (Oasis brand, e.g.) but not if her quality of life can't improve. Advanced imaging (CT, MRI) might well be confirmative but not practical. I regret that I can't be more specific for you. Seizures often remain idiopathic (unknown cause). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.