eclimber
eclimber, Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian and long time bird owner
24704774

I have a blue indian ringneck which has suddenly become

Customer Question

Hi -
I have a blue indian ringneck which has suddenly become lethargic, won't eat and sits on its perch fluffed. I broke off bits of apple and she ate a few of those, also so small bits of tomato, which she loves but not much. I live in a small town and there is not a avian vet near here. Please give me so idea of what to do to help her.
Category: Bird
Expert:  eclimber replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
As soon as you can get her to a veterinarian (even if that means travelling out of your town) you should try to do so. Often a good resource for avian veterinarians is a local veterinarian in town, as they know who they refer birds to be seen if they themselves do not.
A fluffed up bird usually indicates illness, but doesn't tell us specifically what the cause is. Lab tests/examination is needed for that.
Another resource for avian veterinarians is the Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV). Here is the website address:
http://www.aav.org/
In the meantime, fix up a transport cage small enough to fit in your car, and place the perches low so that she does not injure herself by falling. If possible, just transport her in her regular cage so that the veterinarian can see her droppings, the perches, dishes, food, etc.
In the meanwhile, home care for a sick bird includes ensuring all stress (loud noises, extremes in temperature, airborne chemicals/odors, are all eliminated. Birds should never be kept near the kitchen because of the danger of fluorocarbon emissions that can come off of hot frying pans, especially teflon coated ones.
A warm room of approximately 85 degrees is ideal. The reason the bird is puffed up is to conserve body heat.
Moist tiny bits of fresh food (changed often) can help with hydration and enticing to eat (melon, squash, wet wheat bread, moist cereals, fruits, steamed but cooled veggie bits like broccoli). Plain pedialyte can be added to the drinking water at a 1:1 ratio--this can help with blood sugar maintenance. You can try to offer this solution by hand via dropper.
See the following for more info on illness in pet birds:
http://www.petmd.com/bird/conditions/parasitic/c_bd_Bacterial_Diseases
http://www.beautyofbirds.com/sickbirdcare.html#emergency
Hope this helps.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine