Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog just bit my cockatoo and I don't know what to dop for

Customer Question

my dog just bit my cockatoo and I don't know what to dop for her. I haven't moved her to look at the wound but it bled a little and has stopped. Is there something I should get to put on the wound and should I just let her rest for awhile until she calms down. She's laying on my chest and is more alert.
Category: Bird
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle-mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Michelle and I'm a moderator for this topic.
We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.
Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.
Thank you,
Michelle~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. While birds have more resistance to infection secondary to puncture wounds than mammals due to their higher body temperatures, such wounds do introduce oral bacteria deep into the subcutaneous and muscular tissues and should be addressed with a systemic antibiotic given by injection or orally and prescribed by an avian vet (please see here: www.aav.org). Topical administration of an antibiotic cream such as a triple antibiotic (Neosporin/Polysporin) can't reach into the wound where infection might fester.
Until Agnes can be attended to, cleaning the wound openings with hydrogen peroxide and applying a thin film of such a cream as mentioned above will be palliative. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish. I regret that I'm not allowed to correspond with customers by phone.