Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

My female lovebird is having trouble with her bowel movements…

Customer Question
My female lovebird is having...
My female lovebird is having trouble with her bowel movements in the past two days. She is 6-years-old. She has been healthy. Is there anything I can do to address her condition?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
7/2/2015
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'm a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of your lovebird's problem. Some additional information will be useful.
When you say she's having trouble, do you mean she's constipated?
Is she eating and drinking normally?
Thank you.
Anna
She hasn't been eating and she doesn't move too much. She rests and sleeps a lot. She strains very hard, but nothing comes out.
I am not utilizing a personal computer and am in a public place, so I cannot wait any longer. Apologies
Thank you for getting back to me. I'm sorry you felt you couldn't wait any longer - I can only type so fast. I hope you'll be able to read this. Normally, when a bird is constipated with no other symptoms, feeding some fruit or another juicy food with fiber can help with the problem. However, when they also stop eating, as yours has, we aren't looking at simple constipation. Your bird may have an impaction or other blockage. She could have polyps or even a tumor preventing her from passing droppings. Under these circumstances, the only prudent thing to do is to see an avian vet. This site has lists of vets that will help you find one near you:
http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm
In the meantime, dehydration is a risk. Buy some Pedialyte (yes, the kind for human infants). Until you can get to a vet, use a syringe to put some Pedialyte on the bottom of your bird's mouth once per hour. However, her condition may be serious, so try to see a vet as soon as possible.
You should also make sure your bird is kept warm. If there's a warmer room in the house where you can move her cage to, that would be a good thing to do. You could also cover three sides and the top of the cage to keep warmth in. Covering the cage will also lower her stress level. If you feel she still isn't warm enough, you can take a clean sock, and fill it 2/3 with plain, raw white rice. Tie the open end and microwave it for about 1 1/2 minutes. Then shake to distribute the heat. Make sure it's not so hot that it could burn your bird. Put it in the cage for added warmth. You can re-warm it when it gets cool. A heating pad set on low can also be placed over the top of half the cage. Be sure all wires are out of the bird's reach.
I know you would like a home treatment, and I would love to give you one, but unfortunately, this is a situation where there just isn't one. This combination of symptoms can be very serious, and a vet's help is needed.
If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your lovebird will reach a full recovery.
Anna
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Thank you for your response
You're welcome. I'm glad you weren't really gone yet, since your love bird is very sick.
If you found the information helpful, please take a moment to rate my service. I don't receive credit until you do.
If you need anything else, just let me know.
Anna

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist