Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

I have a baby budgie with respiratory distress. I can hear…

Customer Question
I have a baby budgie...
I have a baby budgie with respiratory distress. I can hear the mucus in his breathing. I have "Bird Biotic' Doxycycline Powder but there are parrots not budgies on the label and no information for altering the dosage. 8 oz for 100 mg of powder. Should I add more water to this dosage? He started yesterday eating less in in more distress.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
6/24/2015
Bird Specialist: nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon replied 2 years ago
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now if this little one is already in distress, we need to tread with great care. The reason is because respiratory disease can be caused by a wide range of agents. This includes bacteria but also viruses, parasites, protozoa, fungal agents, and can even be related to dietary issues. And often if they are severely affected, we do need to use diagnostic testing to know what is present to ensure we treat them as effectively as possible (since they often don't have time for trial and error treating). Furthermore, if distressed, we do sometimes need to put them on oxygen to aid their breathing while we treat.
Still, in regards ***** ***** question, the Doxycycline we use for parrots is the same we would use for budgies. Though the dosing would be 4 milligrams per 100 grams of the birds weight once daily. This will need to be measured using a gram scale and the small dose can be mixed with water to administer by mouth.
Finally, if he is very congested, you may want to consider some gentle steam treatment (either taking his cage in the bathroom while you run a hot shower) or making a steam tent by covering his cage with a bed sheet and using a humidifier). This can reduce congestion and get them breathing easier as we treat.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Mary,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bb. How is everything going?
Customer
Actually, it wasn't exactly what I needed, and I'm still worried about the bird although he is getting better slowly on his own now that he's started eating again. I'm having a hard time finding Avian Vet in my area, and I purchased the "Bird Biotic" for Macaws from Taylor Laboratories, trying to see if they would email the dosage for a budgie and they sent me info following [Mary, They said per every 10 mg of product you would get 1 mg of the active ingredient doxycycline. You would have to weight out the product and add the amount of water you would like to give the dose in. As he said before it would depend on the dosage prescribed by your vet. Thank you, ***** ***** Labs], that is too hard to measure at home without a Vets input. I have a 4 month old budgie with congestion, and he was doing really well on Monday (not breathing heavy and no ticking sounds at all, chirping, eating well), but Tuesday, he really went down, was fully congested, labored breathing and stopped eating/drinking for the day. He's still sleeping a lot, but I would like to give him the antibiotic for 10 days in his dosage to try and help him out if that wouldn't hurt him. 100mg packet for 8 oz. water for a Macaw is Bird Biotic dosage. Can you help me figure out how to measure the dose? I couldn't find it for Budgies--is there one you could suggest for Budgie consumption? 2-4 mg or 4-8 mg I'm not sure I'm reading it right or is it 20-40mg? which seems high. I don't have the tools to measure out. I feed him a good diet (ground carrots and peas, seed and a little millet, and crumble pellets form Dr. Harrison's diet--which he's not eating so much of--mostly seed and carrot. I'm giving him vitamins in his water, he's off the canker medicine 4 days in his water--I feed the water to him from an eyedropper each day several times a day and it is always available to him. I could mail stool samples, if I knew where to send them. Had a fab. Avian Vet that did house calls, and he retired. BB's better a little each day and eating now but still congested, Tuesday he slept all day and ate/drank next to nothing. I thought the doxycycline would knock out any bacterial issues he might have. He's only 4 months old and a lovey dovey--I can't bear to lose him! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Also, I don't want to mess him up, if the hot shower steam treatment and good food and vitamins will work. He's still breathing labored, but it does seem a bit less each day and sounds like less congestion as less ticking. He's chirping again, and did fly yesterday. I just don't know what to do and want to help the beautiful little baby.
Hi again,
I am glad to at least see that he is improving with supportive care, but I did note the dose for you above. As I said before its 4 mg per 100 grams of his weight. If they are saying the powder has 1 mg of the drug per 10mg of the preparation. That is 40mg per 100 grams of his weight. Therefore, all you need to a wee postal or kitchen scale to weigh him and then the appropriate dose. And this is what we do as vets, since drug companies rarely make preparations for each species (due to costs for them to do so). So, if you weight your bird, we can work out that dose.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Thank you Dr. B.
You are very welcome, my dear.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)
nekovet
nekovet
nekovet, Veterinary Surgeon