Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

We adopted a green winged macaw that has a closed band. We'd

Customer Question

We adopted a green winged macaw that has a closed band. We'd like to know more about him if we can find the breeder. The band reads JP WI 06 152
Category: Bird
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your beautiful greenwing. I'm glad he's found a home with you, and I'll do my best to help you.
Unfortunately, as you may already know, this question is unique in that it doesn't require having access to information. This requires social networking. Because I was an avian vet in the Midwest for 20 years, I'm hopeful I can help you.
Closed breeder bands are not labeled in accordance with any specifications. The breeder can have anything engraved on them that they like. That means the best way to find out who your guy's breeder is would be the same way people sometimes try to find birth parents, etc., on Facebook.
My best guess at a translation for his band would be that he is bird number 152 hatched in 2006 by breeder JP in Wisconsin.
I will send out feelers to my social network of bird people in the Midwest and see if I come up with anything. I would encourage you to do the same. Join macaw forums. Publicize his band number. It shouldn't take too long to find someone else who's also got a bird with a similar band and knows more.
It's also advisable to check him for a microchip. Any veterinary office or shelter should be able to scan him. If he has a chip, that should be traceable at the very least to whoever purchased the chip.
I hope this helps. I'll also be sure to return to this thread with an update regardless of if I come up with dead ends or leads on my end.
Please remember you can also do the same. You can return to this thread at any time to post more and I will be notified via email. Please rest assured you can also do this after accepting my answer and rating my response. I'm happy to help.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to let you know that I've plastered his information all over my personal and parrot-connected social networks. I'm hopeful we'll come up with something to point us in the right direction.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 2 years ago.
Word is still spreading across the bird owning, bird rescuing, and bird breeding community across the Midwest. I am hopeful we will have some success.
While I am sorry it is impossible for anyone (other than the breeder) to tell you whose band this is, I am happy I was able to help by telling you what can be done to try to find his breeder.
Such a search may take several months, but we may return to this thread at any time to post an update, and we will be notified via email.
In the meantime, it is important for you to go ahead and accept my answer and rate my response before your question times out because without that I receive no compensation for helping you.
Thank you kindly.