Bird

Get Answers to Bird Care Questions. Ask a Bird Specialist.

Bird

I have a male budgie around 11 years old, he has been acting

Customer Question
Hi, I have a male...
Hi, I have a male budgie around 11 years old, he has been acting as though he had an injured foot and now can't perch. This morning he is on the bottom of his cage twitching continually, although he is still preening and eating and drinking-I have put it in bottom of cage for him. Has he had a stroke and can a vet help at all? Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Bird
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/9/2015
Bird Specialist: Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist replied 2 years ago
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question. My name is ***** ***** I’m a biologist with a special interest in birds. I'm sorry to hear of this incident.

A stroke is one possibility. So is an injury. However, and this may sound hard to believe, but one of the most common causes of lameness in budgies is a tumor. Tumors on the kidney or reproductive organs put pressure on the sciatic nerve. That leads to lameness in one or both legs.

Unfortunately, older budgies are very prone to tumors, so there's a good chance that's what it is.Unfortunately, there aren't many treatments available for either strokes or tumors. A vet would be able to help with an injury. But there is no way to know what is going on without a vet visit, and possibly x-rays. If you don't wish to consult a vet, all you can do is make George as comfortable as possible. you are taking great steps to do that already.

If you have more questions about this, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope that I'm wrong in my suspicions, and this will turn out to be something that can be easily treated. Wishing George a full recovery.

Anna

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!
Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about George. How is everything going?

Anna
Anna
Anna
Anna, Bird Expert, Biologist