Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

What can you do for a feather cyst? the bird is too old for…

Customer Question
what can you do for...
what can you do for a feather cyst? the bird is too old for surgery. is there anything I can put on it to reduce the cyst or make it break open?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Bird
3/16/2012
Bird Specialist: August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist replied 6 years ago
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS, Certified Avian Specialist
Was this actually diagnosed? If so, did they call it a feather cyst or a 'fibroma' or something else? A few conditions that are really pretty different will all typically present looking the same way.

So it's important to know which this is.
it was diagnosed by a vet, there is a hole in the cyst and one vet tried to squeeze it but it did not help it
OK, thanks for that. Let me (as usual) give you too much information rather than too little and you can make your own choices based on what you know about your bird. No one knows your bird like you do

----
Feather Cysts or Fibromas (these are two different conditions) may occur as the result of an injury, plucking or nutrition related problems. Other disease might also contribute to these conditions as well.

---
A feather cyst is the result of an ingrown feather. Left untreated it can become quite large and infected, causing system-wide complications that may become life threatening in a short period of time. The earlier a vet excises the ingrown feather, the better and very often, the simpler it is to do so. As mentioned, the causation is frequently associated with nutritional deficiencies, especially if the bird is on a seed only diet or receiving too many high fat ‘treats’ like peanuts, sunflower seeds, millet and other “birdy junk food”.
---
Feathers growing straight up or in what looks like a curled fashion, sometimes called “angel wings” may be the result of nutritional deficiency, most often in the way of too little protein.
---
Another problem that may arise in multi-housed birds is over-grooming each other (or one may over-groom the other). You may end up with a very shredded looking bird that’s being feather plucked by a mate (they can be two males or two females as well). When this happens you need to be sure it’s not being caused by an underlying parasite that the plucking bird is trying to resolve on their partner so a vet visit is always a good idea.
---
You should also double check the size of their enclosure and perhaps provide something even slightly larger.
---
Adding a food and water dish to the ones already there might also help them resolve this if it’s territorial aggression. Even if they continue to share the same dishes, at least they know the option is there.
---
Changing out some toys, bells, other interactive features may give them something different to focus on.

---
Fibromas are a tumor of the fibrous or connective tissues. These also need to be surgically removed and the earlier done, as with anything in our birds, the better the outcome usually is.
---

Now, with all of this said, sometimes the solution is as easy as a warm pack. 'Easy' if your companion allows it that is.

I keep 'rice socks' on hand for all heat needs with birds and they're great for achey human muscles too.

Fill a thick, clean sock 3/4 full with plain, raw rice of any kind. Knot the end and put it in the microwave for up to 2 minutes. Then shake it around to distribute the heat evenly and to be sure it's not too hot. As long as you can comfortably hold it, it's probably fine for your bird. Hold it lightly against the cyst for as long as you're allowed.

Doing this regularly throughout the day; day after day, should eventually bring the cyst to a head, as long as that is all that it is. Without having to squeeze it should dissipate on its own and with your bird's own efforts. They are remarkably good at taking care of things themselves.

---
Of course if you notice going off food, less droppings, changes in consistency or color of droppings, lethargy, loss of balance, pretty much anything that you just know i wrong --- back to the vet you go. Fast.

Some of these infections can become blood borne and that's very, very tragic.

let me know how you make out ok?
August Abbott, CAS

thanks, ***** ***** a bird that plucks her feathers, I got her from a pet store like that. I will try the rice sock

thanks

Ohh, a plucker? That's a very difficult situation. You were very big hearted to take her.

I'll be happy to work with you on anything you might need in trying to overcome this or at least in dealing with it.

I would imagine you've had the gauntlet of blood panels done to rule out disease, infections and even heavy metal toxicity.

Modified diet?

In any event, I'm here. If you want to work with me just post your question with my name in the subject line/headline (although we DO have excellent experts and you don't have to ask for only me)

------- Good luck and seriously, she's a very lucky bird
August Abbott, CAS
August Abbott, CAS