Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

hen: rescue..swollen..When I pick her up her the swelling is soft.

Customer Question
We obtained some chickens from...
We obtained some chickens from a battery hen rescue centre about 3 months ago and one of the hens has a very swollen chest, more on her left side than right. She is not off her food but sits in the entrance to the coop most of the day and raises her neck up alot. When I pick her up her the swelling is soft. Do you know what may be wrong with her?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird
6/27/2010
Bird Specialist: Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian replied 8 years ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian

Thanks for your question.

From your description, it sounds like you are seeing and feeling her crop. The crop is at the upper left side above her breast bone. The crop is a storage area for food. Once she swallows food, it goes into the crop and then from her will move into the rest of he gi tract.

The crop can become impacted with food or foreign material. We can see infections (bacterial, fungal etc).

Depending on the cause, the treatment will vary. You need to contact a vet. They can do a physical exam on her and will most likely take a sample of the crop contents for analysis. If there is an infection, they can start treatment. If there is more of a mechanical obstruction, she may need more aggressive treatment like surgery.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I hope she gets better soon.

Dr. G