Bird

Ask a bird specialist.

After relocating and separating the birds. The female is showing…

Customer Question
After relocating and separating the...
After relocating and separating the birds. The female is showing weightloss. Her droppings seem fine. What can I do ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bird
6/19/2010
Bird Specialist: Dr.Lisa, Bird Vet. Former Zoo Birdkeeper replied 8 years ago
Dr.Lisa
Dr.Lisa, Bird Vet. Former Zoo Birdkeeper

Hello again!

I can't imagine that you are seeing weight loss so quickly; I feel like it was only yesterday when you separated them...Are you sure that she just isn't too hot, and that she has her feathers pressed closely to her body? Or that she is finally relaxing into a normal body posture?

If she is pooping normally, and you see a 'normal' amount of poops for her (I cannot tell you how many that would be), I would not be too concerned. But I would also check her food dish twice daily for activity. If they are still eating seeds, make sure that you put in a measured amount, blow out the husks and then remeasure, because birds will pretend to eat, and by the time a human figures it out, it is too late...

You might even want to put an extra food dish in, close to where she sits, and the same for water. Cover a corner of her cage so that she has a private area, and leave it covered at all times. This might make her feel more secure.

And if you get scared that she truly is not eating, or that her weight loss is real, please take her to an avian vet: www.aav.org/vet-lookup.

If she were hand-tame I would recommend that you get a scale and then you could weigh her daily.

Please let me know how things work out,

Dr. Lisa