Our pet cat grabbed our Lovebird and ran into the other room with it. We got the bird away from the cat. There was no

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: Our pet cat grabbed our Lovebird and ran into the other room with it. We got the bird away from the cat. There was no blood, and no puncture wounds that we could see. The birds seems to be fine, but we are concerned about internal injuries. What should we look for and do you think we should bring it to a bird vet to have it checked out?
Answered by Bird Brains in 13 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Bird Brains
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Thank you very much for your question.

To answer your question simply and directly your pet needs to be taken to the vet ASAP. I advise of a 12 hour window is get the needed injection before irreparable harm is done.

Any contact be it a bite puncture or scratch can and will cause a blood infection and death should the animal not be treated with antibiotics. There is an irritant in the cats saliva that causes the bird to become immobilized. If the scratch or bite is slight it could show as late as a few days from now. It would be impossible for you to be able to guarantee that the bird was not scratched or bit in any capacity due to feather coverage and its not worth risking the life of your pet.

For the evening keep the bird warm and in its cage covered to try and make it comfortable as im sure the excitement was too much for the little guy. It will be a simple procedure at the vet...with the administering of a shot. Im sure after that your pet will enjoy life throughout our new year and beyond.

Sorry if this message seems scary, but must people dont understand the dangers associated with even the slightest wound from a cat.

After clicking the green "accept" button feel free to keep me up to date with whats going on using the reply feature. Happy Sunday to you : )

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bird Brains
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Bird Brains
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.