I have a 6 month old Barnevelder hen. She has been slightly lame in one leg for a couple of weeks. No signs of swelling

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 6 month old Barnevelder hen. She has been slightly lame in one leg for a couple of weeks. No signs of swelling and I have also cheched her feathers all over and there is no signs of parasites. She seems to have become weak and lethargic in the last few days and not sitting up on the perch. She is eating well and drinking water. And will come out after a while to be with the other chooks. But mostly will lay in the hay covering the floor in the chicken shed. My ckickens are free range on acreage during the day.
Answered by Bird Brains in 15 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Bird Brains
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Thank you for your inquiry. I had a couple of questions for you before providing you with an answer:

Is your bird keeping clean as far as when she defecates?

How are her toes? Are they protruding out strangely?

How is her sleep cycle?

Is the foot warm to the touch?

Are her feathers ruffled?

Has the condition gotten any worse?

Is the limping confined to the foot or has it gotten higher up the thigh?

Does she use the leg at all? Is she ginger and nursing it?

I may have some follow up questions for you...but this is a good start to us figuring out whats going on.

Customer
The soreness seems to be in the leg and not the foot, the foot seems normal and warm. Her vent is clean and droppings normal. Her feathers are fairly smooth and unruffled but she seems fairly weak and lets me just walk up and pick her up where she would normally run off. Yes she does use her leg but with a limp and slowly. Also we live in a tick free area. I have 5 other hens of the same breed and age that have all started to lay eggs in the last 4 weeks but this ones comb and wattle are still small and pale so she is behind all the others maturing.

Regards Jeanette.40180.3413207176

Thank you for getting back to me in regards XXXXX XXXXX those questions. By everything you are telling me I think your bird suffered some type of injury in its normal daily ongoings. I would as a precaution take her inside for 3 - 4 days at least at night. Keep her warm hydrated and fed. The fact that she is keeping clean and taking in food and drink regularly is key. Her feathers are smooth and she is not showing any other signs of sickness. I have had this happen a great many times and more often than not it goes away as quickly and mysteriously as it started. If you dont see progress after 5 days it would be a good idea to take her to a vet for some antibiotics and pain reliever.

In the meantime go ahead an pick up some children's pedialyte from the store/pharmacy make sure it is unflavored mix it 50 / 50 with water...administer the mixture with an eyedropper by delivering a drop to the end of the beak. Do not force it and make sure to deliver it at the end of the beak. Do this 3 times a day. It may aid in healing if there is an underlying hydration issue that would explain the sluggishness.

Another reason for isolating the bird is that with chickens I dont like to take chances of some abnormality or sickness affecting other birds. As im sure you are aware they hide injury and sickness very well.

Just a friendly note in regards XXXXX XXXXX comment about not worming the birds in the past four months. 4 - 6 months or even longer is not considered abnormal. The problem the bird is experiencing is common. Injury has a funny way of showing itself and will not necessarily be as obvious as blood on the leg. With no swelling, no visible injury and a healthy intake of food and water this bird should have a steady recovery and future

After clicking the green "accept" button feel free to follow up with me using the reply feature to keep me updated of your birds progress.

Read less
unlike
1 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bird Brains
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Bird Brains
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.