I have a cockatiel with sore skin around the eyes. She is in nesting mode (no partner). She found a hole somewhere and

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a cockatiel with sore skin around the eyes. She is in nesting mode (no partner). She found a hole somewhere and was gone for a couple of hours. When she appeared back she had something in both eyes. I have bathed them in saline solution, and they are now open with minimal discharge. However the skin around her eyes is red and appears to bother her. Can I soothe it with Savlon or tea tree oil?
Answered by Bird Brains in 1 hour 12 years ago
imglogo
Bird Brains
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Thank you for your question in regards XXXXX XXXXX pets eye irritation. As i understand she got out of her cage...do you know if she was loosed from the house? Also what color and consistency was the discharge? i want to make sure to be able to provide you the best answer possible.
Customer

She is not kept caged,except at night. She did not leave the house. She is sticking her head into any and all holes that might lead to a nesting place.

The discharge was,is clear,as in tears, watery eyes.

Thank you for getting back to me with that. Obviously she has either irritated her eyes by poking her head into different holes etc. or be coming into contact with something as harmless as dust or as bad as insulation shedding.

The most important thing is to continue to flush the eyes...the fact that the eyes are tearing rather than oozing is positive as the birds body is trying to wash the irritant out.

An eye drop in this case would be a good idea. Store purchased is fine...do not purchase specialty brands with extras...get simple "sterile" eye drops.

Do not use Savlon or Tea Tree Oil...it will harm things more.

Should the problem persist for more than another day to two after applying sterile drops regularly you may wish to seek antibiotic drops from your local vet to prevent any possible infection.

The inflammation around the eye is to be expected with the area being irritated...this should pass quickly and naturally with regular use of the eye drops.

As far as your pets nesting...try to provide a closed cardboard nesting box. fill it with newspaper strips etc. cotton balls are also a good idea. Cut a hole big enough for your bird to enter. Place the box somewhere the bird naturally tends to traffic in the house. A treat etc might also entice. The more it feels like she discovered it on her own the more appealing it seems to be.

After clicking the green "accept" button feel free to check back in with me by reply and keep me updated of your birds progress. Have a great week. : )

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bird Brains
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Bird Brains
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.