My four year old female Zebra Finch started pecking at her neck about three weeks ago, causing it to bleed. A growth has

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: My four year old female Zebra Finch started pecking at her neck about three weeks ago, causing it to bleed. A growth has formed on the right side of her neck. She is eating normally and looks normal. I'm giving her a variety of grit, lots of conditioning food, and antibiotics in her water. She likes perching under the light I put above the cage. What else can I do for her?
Answered by Bird Brains in 14 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Bird Brains
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Thank you for your inquiry in regards XXXXX XXXXX pet Finch. I would like to ask some preemptory questions in order to make sure that I can offer the best possible answer to you:

When were antibiotics prescribed and for what specifically?

Can you describe the growth in more detail?

Is bleeding persistant?

Is the wound warm to the touch?

Is their any unusual coloring/

What is the birds vet history?

I will have more questions for you after your responses to these....together we will try and figure this out for you. : )

Customer
My Pet Store suggested the antibiotics and the birds have been drinking it for five days. (The suggestion was it couldn't hurt.)
The wound is not bleeding now, nor has it been for several days, even though she picks around it.
The growth was bumpy ahd reddish in color, which made me think she wasn't digesting her food properly at first. Now its blackish, like dead tissue, more separated from the neck, and shaped like a small peanut hanging down from her neck. The skin on her neck looks normal, but is featherless.
I am not good at catching these little birds and haven't attempted to feer the warmth of the tissue. The bird has not seen a vet. The closest avian vet is an hour's drive away.
I can't tell if my reply was sent.40175.0423726042

Thank you for those responses...they do in fact help. There are a couple of reasons as to what is happening based upon your follow up.

Based upon the birds continued positive behavior patterns it does not sound like a crop issue... it sounds like like a hematoma or an infected cyst that could have been caused by an ingrown feather or finally it could be an abscess.

A hematoma would be unlikely as it does not fit your description

It could be an abscess...these are swollen and inflamed from bacterial infections...this could have been the case but the skin would still be showing surrounding irritation which it is not. they are filled with toxins and can be fatal if not treated. As a pet owner we sometimes are faced with instinctual decisions. By your description I do not think this is the case.

A cyst fits the visual description and would explain the over preening as a result of the underlying issue as well as the inflamed skin and subsequent residual skin. A cyst is in essence a tissue sack filled with material or fluid. They are generally not serious.

Watch the animal for a few days and observe her behavior. Ideally a local vet could remove this for you. Your bird will most likely continue to pick until it removes it itself. Your bird may need help in removing it if it takes longer than a week. If that is the case an eventual trip to the vet will be unavoidable.

Keep a close eye on her behavior patterns just in case of an underlying and more serious health problem...but I do not think so. Please click the green "accept" button and feel free to check back in with me using the reply option and let me know how she is doing. Enjoy the rest of your Christmas weekend. : )

Keep your pet on the "antibiotics" from the pet store as in sure they are safe. Do not keep them for too long of an extended period of time.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bird Brains
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Bird Brains
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.