I have a 16 year old male cockatiel. He has started loosing feathers around his face. I have given him warm baths

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: I have a 16 year old male cockatiel. He has started loosing feathers around his face. I have given him warm baths thinking it was the dry winter air and have placed neosporin on his face where he is loosing feathers. He does not seem to be loosing feathers anywhere else on him. He also seems to be constantly pruning himself. He has never done this before in the 16 years I have had him. He still has a positive attitude, flies around the house when he feels like it, and is socialable and sweet - nothing else has changed. Nothing in his environment has changed so I don't think it's stress. I live out in the country and there are no vets that work on birds...HELP PLEASE!
Answered by Bird Brains in 28 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Bird Brains
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Thank you for your inquiry in regards XXXXX XXXXX feathered friend...I have a couple of questions to ensure that I provide the best possible answer:

how long has the issue been going on?

what is the appearance of the skin?

are there any other birds in the cage house? (when)

what is the birds veterinary history?

what is his diet?

have you seen him pulling out feathers while preening?

Please get back to me at your earliest convenience. : )

Customer
1. This issue has been going on for approx. a week that I noticed it. 2. I can't see the skin on his face yet but have noticed his feet is what he uses for scratching. 3. He is the only bird that has ever been in the house. 4. There is no vet history for the bird. 5. His diet is the same as has been for 16 years - he likes parakeet seed and millet spray for a treat. 6. I have not seen him pulling out feathers while preening. Hope this helps!

Thank you for responding to all of my preliminary questions...

Firstly I would stop the use of neosporin on your pet. Often times this causes more discomfort and irritation and there upon causes more harm than good.

You birds behavior is indicative of mites or a possible skin infection. The best way to confirm if it is mites it to lay a black t-shirt on the bottom of his cage for 30 mins to an hour. Remove the t-shirt and examine it for little gray or red moving specks. They are quite small so keep a good eye. If nothing is visible of the t shirt after 30 mins or so... try rubbing the bird gently with a black t shirt just to make sure. If you confirm the presence of mites you can treat this at home with products available at the pet store.

If there are no mites the issue is most likely bacterial or a skin disorder...that diagnosis will need to be made by an avian vet.

after clicking the green "accept" button feel free to check back in with me by reply. I hope your pet sees a quick recovery and very happy life.

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bird Brains
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Bird Brains
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.