Our cockatiel is "vomiting" right after he eats something. he otherwise seems fine. its been just today that he has been

Expert's Assistant chatimg
Customer: our cockatiel is "vomiting" right after he eats something. he otherwise seems fine. its been just today that he has been doing this.
what could the problem be?
Answered by Bird Brains in 41 mins 12 years ago
imglogo
Bird Brains
10+ years of experience
logo

Specialities include: Bird Veterinary, Exotic Animal Medicine, Avian Medicine, Poultry Veterinary Medicine

Hello...firstly i would like to ask some questions in regards XXXXX XXXXX birds food and behavior...

what is the birds diet?

is there anything new about the birds food, water, cage, environment?

what color ar the birds droppings?

does the bird seem active?

do the feathers on his face seem tight and clumped from fluids?

when he "vomits"...does the bird flick his head side to side or a simple forward typical movement?

how is his water consumption?

some additional follow up questions are:

did he have access to anything naughty around the house for the holidays poinsettias for instance?

is he puffed up?

is he breathing through the mouth?

does he seem like hes strugglig to breath?

I know this is not a normal behavior for him but does he seem okay otherwise?

Customer

yes he tries to eat but then throws it up with in 5 - 10 minutes

he hasn't got into anything around the house only thing new was a seed stick and he has had those many times in the past.

it has been removed from his cage

he puffs up after he throws up but then settle downs and no problem breathing

when he throws up is his head moving in a forward thrusing motion or is he shaking his head violently?
Customer
more of the shaking his head then forward thrusting

By the sounds of it we can rule out that your pet is regurgitating and is in fact vomiting. This can be caused by a number of issues and your judgment as a pet owner will definitely be key to your birds well being. I am usually suspect of new introductions to a pets environment...especially with a bird of your pets age. Removal of the new seed stick was a good idea. Your answer that your pet has not gotten into anything naughty accidentally are important to rule out accidental poisoning. This can be from a number of things from the new seed stick that could have been contaminated to use of pesticides around the home. If the birds droppings appear different than normal especially dark green or clear, excess liquid etc the bird needs to be taken to a vet because he may have a poison in his system or a crop infection. Keep an eye on him, make sure he is warm if his condition worses or he continues to vomit tomorrow you should seek a vet. Feel free to reply to this answer after pressing the green "accept" button for any follow up. Let me know how he is doing over the next day or so. : )

Read less
unlike
0 Likes
logoBack
logologo
Bird Brains
logo
logo
logo
10+ years of experience
imglogo
Bird Brains
+ years of experience
logo

Licensed veterinarians

Pearl avatar
Pearl Wilson, Veterinarian's Assistant
116 Veterinarians are online right now.