Theresa
Theresa, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Several years experience in handling, care, and health of our feathered friends
1484153

my budgie laid an egg which had blood on it and her bottom

my budgie laid an egg which had blood on it and her bottom is all bloody. what should i do?
Category: Bird
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
How is she acting?

Does she have a mate?

What is her cage set up like?

Is she on her perch or on the bottom of the cage?

Where is the egg now?

Thank you

Theresa
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How is she acting? she is acting like her normal self

Does she have a mate? no

What is her cage set up like? perch, food dish, water dish, mirror, toy

Is she on her perch or on the bottom of the cage? both, she moves from sitting on the egg to sitting on the perch

Where is the egg now? on the bottom of the cage where she laid it, she has laid eggs there before
Expert:  Theresa replied 8 years ago.
Do not remove the egg from the cage. Removing the eggs only prompts her to make more. I suggest creating a nest out of a round butter container and paper towels and then place the egg in this.

Now with the blood that you are seeing I am concerned that she may be egg bound. That more eggs may be present. Birds can hide their illness very well and this can very well be a very serious situation.

Here is a link on egg binding:
http://www.lbah.com/avian/egg_binding.htm

Since she is a chronic egg layer you will need to have a cuttlebone in the cage at all times. I also suggest taking her to the vet as soon as you can for an xray to rule out more eggs. If there are none then talk to your vet about lupron injections to help stop the egg laying.

http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/birdinformation/egglaying.php

The site above includes a few tips on things you can do if you cannot get to the vet.

I do suggest the cuttle bone and also offering her egg shells to eat as this can help to increase her calcium. Most budgies lay around 3-6 eggs at a time so I am suspicious that there are more present.

Since an egg bound bird can be in serious trouble I do suggest calling around to locate a vet who sees exotics.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Theresa