Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I’m a 33 male. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with a

Customer Question
I’m a 33 white male...
I’m a 33 white male. Earlier this year I was diagnosed with a chronic health condition called “Ulcerative Colitis.” It’s basically an autoimmune condition in which ulcers form in my colon, and my immune system overreacts to external/unnatural processed foods. After the diagnosis, my doctors wanted me to go on medication to suppress my immune system. I decided not to take medication for 3 reasons: 1. the cost 2. I heard of people reversing their conditions with alternative methods and 3. I was afraid of the side effects. Anyhow, after many months, I would say my condition has improved substantially only after I completely removed all processed foods from my diet, and now eating a mostly whole foods, natural, organic diet. I learned that the best way to heal any chronic illness is to give the body a chance to heal itself by eating quality whole foods. Anyhow, a couple of weeks ago, I was rushed to the ER due to weakness. It turns out I was suffering from lack of iron which led to anemia (lack of red blood cells), so my cells were starved of oxygen. I’m having more iron in my diet now and feel better. However, I just got the ER bill and it’s about $1,500 – all they did was give me a room for about an hour, I spoke to a doctor, they ran some blood test, and I got an IV. An hour I spent at the ER, and its $1,500. I want to contest the bill, so I plan on filing a grievance with my hospital so that I don’t have to pay. I do have emails with my doctors in which at first they discount the importance of diet, and then later admitted to the importance of diet in controlling symptoms. My hospital I think is a HMO, and the doctors are considered employees. Anyhow, my question is, considering the context/landscape of how the entire medical industry works in America, with the Big Pharma in control of the med schools, and doctors, and hospitals, placing little importance on diet, and training doctors etc in medication, and even punishing MDs for suggesting diet to their patients, I’m confused that when I write my demand letter, what TORT I should be arguing over. Is this a tort of mass fraud [deceit] (from the big pharma?), OR is this the tort of negligence from ignorance from the poorly-trained doctors, or both? And considering a reasonable standard of care, in America, the reasonable standard of care is to prescribe MEDS, but even though that’s the way its currently set up, doesn’t mean that its RIGHT – because remember, profits are emphasized (selling medication), AND these guys make the claim that there’s no scientifically proven study that conclusively shows that diet plays a role in helping people with autoimmune conditions (or any chronic condition), but these are just biased studies that are blatant lies. Remember Hippocrates saying “let thy food be thy medicine.” Quality whole foods is what an ailing person needs to repair their body naturally, not suppress symptoms with poisonous meds. So, yah, not sure what TORT to focus on here – Big Pharma fraud? Medical Malpractice by the ignorant doctors? Some other thing I’m not thinking of? The confusion here for me: standard of care in America for sick people IS meds, even though that standard of care is a MASS LIE because the APPROPRIATE TRUE way I know to heal most chronically ill people is with quality, nutrient dense, WHOLE foods. Did any of their wrongdoings lead to injury? Yes! Possible irreversable damage to my colon, and immense suffering for many months without proper guidance of what to eat and what to avoid.
Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
not suppress symptoms with poisonous meds. So, yah, not sure what TORT to focus on here – Big Pharma fraud? Medical Malpractice by the ignorant doctors? Some other thing I’m not thinking of? The confusion here for me: standard of care in America for sick people IS meds, even though that standard of care is a MASS LIE because the APPROPRIATE TRUE way I know to heal most chronically ill people is with quality, nutrient dense, WHOLE foods. Did any of their wrongdoings lead to injury? Yes! Possible irreversable damage to my colon, and immense suffering for many months without proper guidance of what to eat and what to avoid
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
please dismiss the second block of text - its redundant
Customer reply replied 10 days ago
question is simple what TORT is the relevant TORT here, and who would be the appropriate defendant?
Answered in 1 day by:
7/12/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: richanne96, Attorney replied 8 days ago
richanne96
richanne96, Attorney

The problem with alleging medical malpractice in this situation is that you can not sue for what might have happened. The doctors did not harm you or make your situation worse, largely because you did not take their advice, but it turned out OK for your health. Your only real complaint it that they charged you $1500 for an ER visit, at which they diagnosed you as having an iron deficiency. That diagnosis proved to be very valuable to you because you knew what needed to be done. Therefore, the hospital is not perpetrating a fraud on you either. I do not think anybody committed a tort. I think if I were contesting this bill, I would argue that I was only in the room for an hour. If nothing else, the hospital should be willing to put you on a payment plan. They work with people who don't have health insurance to lower their bills and let them make payments.