Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Teh day before school started in august of last year when my…

Customer Question
Second opinion] teh day...

Second opinion] teh day before school started in august of last year when my son, his father and I went to "meet the teacher", the school police and principal detained me for almost 3 hours, searched my purse and car without asking, accused me of being a meth addict (i was sick at the time with a rarecondition and looked sick), being a drug dealer. they poured my entire purse out on a table, poured all my narcotic medications (that were in their bottles and i had the pharmacy printouts with them) on a table then took them all from me, including a paper prescription for the next months ADHD medication asked me where my needles were hidden ALL WHILE MY 10 YEAR OLD SON WATCHED AT THE DOOR. When I realized he was there, i asked could i talk to him to let him know i was ok.....he was very upset WITH REASON.........the school chief of police threatened to arrest me and put me in jail if I UPSET MY SON AT ALL OR TOLD HIM WHAT WAS HAPPENING........ even if they had to fabricate the charges.I never got a receipt as they promised nor did i get a copy of a report that I asked for. All my neighbors teach at this school and since this they will not let their kids play with my son, I lost my job, my son was extremely traumatized and begged me to not file a complaint because they would take it out on him all year. Now that school is out this year I am ready to find out if I have the basis for a formal complaint and possible suit???

Lawyer's Assistant: What were you charged with exactly? Do you have any upcoming court dates?

NOTHING.......I even asked about 10 times for them to put me in their police car and take me to the hospital for a blood test to prove I am clean .........i have been clean for 7 years ......but we lost the trust of all our neighbors and my sons friends parents....I lost my job and they treated me like a drug addict all year when I would go to the school.......

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

Mississippi lamar county

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes i met with the Lamar County Sheriff 2 weeks ago and he gave me the direct number to the Superintendent of Education for Lamar County Schools and told me I had a big Defamation of Character suit at the very least.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
Answered in 1 day by:
6/1/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: richanne96, Attorney replied 2 months ago
richanne96
richanne96, Attorney

You may have a defamation claim if the school employees told lies about you to your employer and that caused you to lose your job. You would sue the school that employed them under the theory of respondeat superior. Defamation has a one-year statute of limitations in Mississippi. The state also has a Notice of Claim statute, meaning that to sue a governmental entity, one must put the governmental entity on notice of the claim at least 90 days in advance. Filing that notice of claim does toll the statute of limitations, but you are running out of time if you want to pursue a claim against the school district.