Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I had to have a total knee replacement on my left knee due…

Customer Question
Hello, I had to have...
Hello, I had to have a total knee replacement on my left knee due to osteo arthritis. I had the procedure done at Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo by Dr. Uggen on 7/31/17. I had a two week check up and they took an x-ray and everything looked good. I had a six week check up with no x-ray. I began having extreme pain and cried everyday. I continued calling the office to let them know and the nurse said she would talk to the doctor/pa and get back with me. They thought the issue was due to my long use of Norco, which I have been on for approximately 15 years due to IBS, Gastritis, and Acid Reflux as well as the osteo arthritis. I was told by more than one doctor that I cannot take any over the counter medicine due to my gastro issues. I am highly sensitive to medicine and can only take certain ones. During my hospital visit, my pain was not being managed so a doctor came to see me and asked if I would like to try Percocet. I explained that I had a bad reaction to it in the past but he said we are running out of options and asked if I would be willing to give it another try. I said if you think it would be ok than I guess we can try it. Not long after taking the Percocet, I started feeling really bad. My husband had to help me to bed and contact the nurse. With in minutes they had the emergency response team in my room. They never explained what happened to me. Once I was released from the hospital and after approx 3 months of extreme pain, my family doctor's nurse suggested that I ask Dr. Uggen to take another x-ray, which he agreed to do. His PA was the person we dealt with during all of our visits except the initial visit. When he saw the x-ray he said 'oh no' and immediately went to get Dr Uggen who welcomed us warmly after ignoring us and not even coming to check on me in the hospital. Dr. Uggen explained that something had went wrong, he could not explain why only that it happens to less than 1% of patients. He then sent me to a more seniored dr in their office who basically said yes it needed to be redone but there was no rush. I went to see my family dr and said I do not want to go back to them so he suggested Dr. Hallstrom at the U of M. My second surgery was performed on 2/12/18. They had to do major reconstructive surgery. The surgery took quite a bit longer than anticipated. My chest broke out in hives during surgery. So the anestheologist believes I had a reaction to one of the medications used during surgery. The dr explained that he had to cut off more bone than he had expected or wanted to and I now have a rod running down my tibia and up my femur. When asked if he thought Dr Uggen did something wrong during my first procedure he replied I don't know as I was not standing over his shoulder; however, I would never have done or used the same procedure. My family dr thought I should speak to an attorney to see if they thought I had a case. I did call a few with no luck. The first knee replacement was manufactured by Stryker. I should also mention that during Dr Uggen's care, two different nurses said he was done helping me and basically left everything up to my family dr to handle. Do you believe I have a case against Dr Uggen and/or Borgess Hospital. Thanks - Susan
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
Answered in 1 day by:
5/29/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 21 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
If they respond within the 5 day trial period. If not then I'll need to cancel. When is the 5 days up?
Personal Injury Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 20 days ago
Hello again,
We can not predict or guarantee response time, just because the volume of questions, number of Experts online, complexity of questions, and other factors vary.
Your question is open to all Experts.
Thank you for your response.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thanks!
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
When is my five day trial period up? Please answer.
Personal Injury Lawyer: richanne96, Attorney replied 18 days ago
richanne96
richanne96, Attorney

Susan, the only way to know if you have a case for medical malpractice is to get your actual medical records to an impartial medical expert for a thorough review. You would need to get copies of all the medical records from both surgeries and in between and make an appointment with a medical malpractice attorney. The initial consultation should be free of charge. The attorney will give the records over to a medical expert to review them and determine whether you have a good case.