Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Yesterday my car was involved in an accident. GA. None yet a…

Customer Question
Yesterday my car was...

Yesterday my car was involved in an accident.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

GA

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None yet a police officer responded to the seen I was taken to the hospital, xray my back which is soar but no damage to bone. Strain Back, I was waring seat belt. Car was towed I have not contacted my insurance company as I was on pain med yesterday. When I got home from emergency I went to bed and woke up just a while ago. I have only liability Insurance. I need to know if I am at fault. I was traveling on my way to work and a car in front of me suddenly stop to when I went around the car a suv pulled out and struck my car as I was going around the other car. I'm not sure if I'm at fault or not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is this a case where a lawyer or if I'm at fault just go with the insurance company recommendation. I think the major thing is am I at fault for going around a stopped vech.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
5/27/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. First, I am so sorry you were in an accident and hope you are okay. It does sound like you are potentially at fault or at least one of the at fault drivers, though I cannot say that for sure. If, for example, you were following at a safe distance, the car in front of you did not signal an upcoming turn and stopped suddenly such that you had to make a quick decision to avoid hitting that car and swung around, getting hit by the other car, then you may or may not be at fault. You may want to check the police report, as the report usually includes a description of the accident from each of the involved drivers and may also mark whether someone is believed by the officer to be at fault. The officer's checking that a driver is at fault does not necessarily mean that driver will ultimately be determined to be at fault but it is not a good starting point for showing no fault. The fact that you went around a stopped vehicle does not necessarily make you at fault unless you passed that vehicle in an area where such passing was prohibited and/or you did not look to see if any vehicles were pulling out or turning onto the road where you would be going around the stopped vehicle.

It is important to report the accident to your insurance company as auto insurance policies often require prompt notification to ensure proper handling and coverage. With just liability, your insurance company will not be looking at your car's damage but will investigate to see if it believes you to be at fault such that it may cover damage to the other vehicle(s) and driver(s)/passenger(s). This investigation will likely include a statement from you about what happened; getting statements from the other drivers; police report; damage reports; any witnesses, etc. The other driver's insurance company will likely also do an investigation.

Again, it is not clear who was at fault in this situation; so the important thing is to gather what information you can (police report) and to report the accident to your insurance company so they can do their investigation.

I hope this information is helpful. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Just checking to see if you need any additional assistance.