Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I hade a civil law question. Basically my question is can I…

Customer Question
I hade a civil...

I hade a civil law question. Basically my question is can I sue a suicide prevention hotline for violation of my 4th amendment rights for promising to be anonymous and then reporting me to crisis services? Long story short, I was very frustrated and I called in to vent. I only divulged my first name and I asked them if these calls are anonymous and the woman responded yes. I never dreamed that they could trace my call. I said some things that weren’t true to vent and a short while later crisis services showed up and involuntary committed me to a mental hospital. I have no prior psychiatric history or legal problems and commitment seriously resulted in extreme emotional harm.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Nys

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I nearly lost my job. I was imprisoned for 5 days during which time I received no medicine or treatment other than seeing a psychiatrist twice and getting released

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I havent taken any action

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
3/16/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: LegalDan, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalDan
LegalDan, Attorney

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help today - unfortunately the answer is no, there is no basis to sue for violation of privacy. I would think that when you first began speaking with the woman on the phone she should have told you that the center is whats called a mandatory reporting agency. What that means is that if the woman who you were speaking with truly believed that you were a threat to yourself or other she MUST report you to the proper authorities. If she did not she would be subject to a suit if something extreme did happen. If she did not tell you about their mandatory reporting policies then that is negligence on her part, but still does not rise to the level of a lawsuit.

I hope that answered your question - can you please rate me with 5 stars