Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Are state investigative offices of State exempt from

Are state investigative offices of...
Are state investigative offices of Washington State exempt from defamation of character lawsuits?
3/16/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The officer would be exempt from a lawsuit based on statements made within the course of his employment that he believed to be true at the time and turned out to be untrue. He would not be exempt from statements made outside the scope of his employment or for statements made to third parties unrelated to the employment. He also would not be immune from prosecution if there was evidence he was acting on his own behalf rather than as an employee of the state, or if he either knew the statement was untrue or was reckless in failing to determine whether it was true or false. In those scenarios, he could be sued personally, and the fact that he works as an investigative officer would not automatically protect him.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! Do you practice in Washington State?

You're welcome. I am not currently practicing in Washington state, but that is the law there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you
Lucy, Esq., Attorney