Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

My name is ***********. I am a ** year old male with

Hello, My name is ***********...

Hello, My name is ***********. I am a ** year old male with multiple sclerosis. I am sending you a very short story in regards ***** ***** potential case. On March 1st 2017 I was feeling very weak and had to be brought in by ambulance to our local medical facility. They gave me several IV’s for dehydration. They discharged me that night even when I was still feeling very weak. I was discharged and a friend of mine was there to pick me up. He was forced to lift me up because the staff just stood and watched in my hospital room. When getting into the wheelchair I felt pain on my leg and when I looked down I saw that the aide attending the wheelchair did not raise the foot supports on the chair which in turn struck my right foot causing the flaps to scrape and tear the skin open on my foot because of their negligence. This is what caused the injury and MRSA infection. They should have transported me to a hospital that knew what they were doing. It seems that no one at the local medical center had certified experience with a multiple sclerosis patient.  Apparently, the CEO claims at one point that they did not have a sterile environment at the hospital. It was very bad. They kept me in the very inadequate little hospital in my town for over a week telling me they were going to fix the problem, when all that happened was it became worse day by day. I asked them to let me go to a big hospital outside of town that has MS experienced doctors there, but kept me in the local hospital and using intimidation so that I would not leave.  They did not allow me to be transported to another hospital to get appropriate treatment. They told me things that were false to keep me there. The infection became so bad that my podiatrist sent me immediately to this large hospital almost 2 hours away. Recently, I have found out that other people have developed MRSA at the same local hospital that I did as well as staph infection and cellulitis. I was then quarantined in the more appropriate hospital that was 2 hours away and had to stay there over a week trying to be treated for the MRSA infection I had caught in the exact spot where the wheelchair (from the other Hospital) that struck my ankle. They finally released me and to this day I have been going through a nightmare of wound treatments and very stressful procedures that are over 100 miles away from my home. I am disabled and cannot afford all of these bills. This has all been very traumatic and has added such difficulty to my walking and everyday life. The mental anguish I have experienced has been unbearable at times, not to mention the physical trauma. Because of the injuries, it has made my multiple sclerosis much worse. (Photographs available) Sincerely, *********************

Answered in 3 days by:
3/11/2018
richanne96
richanne96, Attorney

You may have a case for medical negligence against the hospital, although claims against hospitals related to infections are very difficult. Still, you should gather all your medical records related to this and take them to a personal injury attorney in your town. There should be no charge for the initial consultation, and the attorney will likely send your records on to a medical expert, who will evaluate to determine whether you have a good case. If the attorney takes the case, there will be no fees until your case settles.

Thank you for the information, and what is the statute of limitations on a lawsuit like this, please?
It's not in the best interest to go to an attorney in this small close-knit town with population of 3,000. Nor I think possibly not even in our region of Northern Nevada. I'm concerned because of an affiliation with our local hospital, and it's CEO. I also have a great concern of retaliation. I did attempt to contact personal injury attorneys, medical negligence areas, as well as malpractice and I've been turned down, I have even contacted the Nevada State Bar and they didn't want to do anything except turn me over to something called Martindale, which I did contact, and nothing.
Please advise where I need to go next. This has been going on so long and I really need to talk to someone about this.
Sincerely,

The Nevada statute of limitations for medical malpractice is 3 years from the date of injury or 1 year from the date of discovery, whichever is later. Martindale is a good directory, but if you did not find an attorney there, you might try Avvo.com's Find a Lawyer feature. The reason why you may be having difficulty is because, as I said earlier, it is difficult to bring a case against a hospital related to infections because they are so common in that setting, it is tough to prove that the hospital was negligent.

richanne96
richanne96, Attorney