Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I am being harassed by someone claiming to be a bailbonds…

I am being harassed...

I am being harassed by someone claiming to be a bailbonds man saying he wants his money and for me to pay over the phone. I've asked several time for his address and name. He won't give me his name and says the company is no longer where it used to be. And the last time I heard from the company was 8 months ago. I dont know if i should believe this person or not also Don't they have to inform me if they moved or shut down

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington State. Thurston County

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

To my knowledge no. Nor have I been contacted if anything has been

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Every time I've tried to get information they kept saying they would call me back but never did. Also the bondsman who is trying to contact me is doing so only by text

3/7/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If he wants you to pay him, he needs to prove you owe him the money. There is absolutely no reason at all to give money over the phone to someone who won't even tell you their name. If he's calling on behalf of the company, there's no reason not to give you a name and address and to let you mail a check made out to the company. If he's calling to collect on his own behalf, then he needs to prove that he validly purchased the debt from the original company.

And in that case, it would be a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practice Act for him not to give you his name. You'd be entitled to sue him for $1,000 for every single time he's called or texted without giving you his name and information. You can also let him know that you have no intention of paying anything until he provides you with proof. He's free to sue. To win in court, he needs evidence. People who have evidence typically don't refuse to give it, which tends to suggest that he doesn't any way of showing you owe him money.

You may want to check your credit report to see if there is anything on there suggesting a debt owed to a bail bonds company. But the fact that the company isn't even calling you back tends to suggest this isn't legitimate. If you owed them money, they would want it.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney