Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

Can i sue my ex for telling lies on me defaming my character…

Can i sue my ex...
Can i sue my ex for telling lies on me defaming my character and part of the reason for the breakdown of my marriage to my current husband? He is saying some malicious things that aren't true at all. He sent an answer to the court as I'm seeking child support and sole custody saying that someone else is claims to be the father and that I don't know who the father is. He told my current husband that he could be the father of our daughter. I never cheated he is taking his anger too far.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2018
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Attorney

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm a licensed attorney. I'm reviewing your question and will respond shortly. Please note, all information is provided for educational purposes only.

You may have a case for defamatory slander because of the way the law is worded in Georgia. In Georgia, Slander or Oral defamation occurs if a party makes a statement which:

• Imputes to another a crime punishable by law;
  • Charges a person with having some contagious disorder or with being guilty of some debasing act which may exclude him from society;
  • Makes charges against another in reference to his trade, office, or profession, which is calculated to injure him therein;
  • Utters disparaging words productive of special damages which flows naturally therefrom.

In the situation described in the preceding paragraph, special damage is essential to support an action, while damages are inferred for the rest of the above. You could have a case that your ex has landed you by "uttering disparaging words productive special damages which flows naturally therefrom." This is usually a statement which implies that the victim has poor moral fiber. Essentially, by telling your current husband that your ex could be your daughter's father, he's accused you of cheating (performing an act indicating poor moral fiber), and the special damages could be (1) the demise of your current marriage; (2) the demise of your husband's relationship with your daughter.

If I've fully answered your question, I'd appreciate a five-star rating. If not, please let me know how else I can assist you.

lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Attorney
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank u. I will be contacting an attorney regarding this.
lawyerJ
lawyerJ
lawyerJ, Attorney