Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

We have an unusual question. My husband was in a car

Customer Question
We have an unusual...

We have an unusual question. My husband Mark was in a car accident where a 16 year old ran a light and hit my husband and totaled his car. He has been seeing an Orthopedic doctor and having physical therapy for over 4 months. The young mans insurance has agreed to pay all of Mark's medical bills. He feels better an hopes the pain is behind him. We feel they should also pay some monetary amount for the pain and inconvenience. Is there an average amount of money that could be? We do not want to go to court but feel they will settle for a reasonable amount. Can you give me an idea of what that might be?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Virginia. His car was a 2013. The car has been replaced by their insurance company.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. A police report was filed at the time of the accident and both insurance companies have been involved.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not think so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
1/8/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

Give me just a moment to review what you've written.

This is very person specific, since every accident is different, every recovery difficult and everyone experiences a different amount of pain and suffering. So while you might say "Ok, my pain and suffering is 'worth' a million dollars" someone else may say that theirs is worth $100,000. The less you ask for the more likely they are to settle. But at the end of the day YOUR pain and your suffering and your recovery took a certain period of time and just because your medical bills themselves are covered doesn't mean that that makes you whole - it may not. At the end of the day, whatever number you come up with leave yourself room to negotiate down so that everyone feels like they have some control over this process. If I have answered your question, could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question so that I receive credit for working with you. 5 stars is definitely appreciated! It *DOES NOT* cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your question.

We were just looking for an average of usual settlements.
Most settlements are confidential and fact specific so I really don’t have a number for you. I will opt out of your question and if somebody else is able to assist you they will respond.
Personal Injury Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Ray here a new expert.Add up the totals here of car repair, medical and lost wages.hoot for three times the total of these other items.Its a good figure here.So here is your total car, medical, lost wages is $30k then argue for $90k pain and suffering.Keep going here until you are better.The other issue is what are policy limits they cap out here at some point.So you are limited to policy limits here.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Tell your husband to keep seeking medical treatment and documenting medical pain because doctor writes all of this down.If you can get three times what your out of pocket here you would be doing well up to the policy limits.

Thank you, ***** ***** just looking for some advise, some guide line. This will work. I did not want to be billed to receive an answer that says their is not answer!! Thanks, Ray

Your goal should be to find out the policy limits and run your medical and lost wages as high as you can and then three times that for your pain and suffering.You are so welcome,thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page.