Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

I represent a plaintiff in a slip and fall case against a…

Customer Question
I represent a plaintiff in...
I represent a plaintiff in a slip and fall case against a company that has filed for bankruptcy prior to judgment in the civil case. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
1/5/2018
Personal Injury Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks very much for your patience. Generally, if you have a defendant who has filed for bankruptcy, then there is going to be an automatic stay on any creditors or potential creditors, including your client.

This means that you have two options: 1) wait until the bankruptcy has been completed or 2) apply for a relief from the stay.

If you have good cause to believe that your client is going to suffer some sort of imminent harm as a result of the stay then you can ask the bankruptcy court to lift the stay altogether against your client and let the proceedings continue on as they normally would.

What other questions did you have for me about this?

Infolawyer, Attorney