Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

My ex husband developed multiple ulcers due to taking the…

Customer Question
My ex husband developed...

My ex husband developed multiple ulcers due to taking the drug indocin, he ended up ultimately having 3 different surgeries. The 1st one he actually died on the operating table 3 times.the first surgery was in 2001. I was asked to look into a damages law suit or is it too late

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No ma'am

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I really dont know. he is just computer illiterate and I was asked to look into it on his behalf.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
the first surgery was a gastric resection in 2001, another gastric resection in 2003 and then they went in and did the Rue-n-Y procedure and severed the vagal nerves that cause the stomach to create acid in 2005. Not sure if this helps. But he now has less than half a stomach because of the 3 surgeries
12/27/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

If your husband's doctors are attributing all of these stomach issues to the medication and there is evidence the manufacturer knew of this possible side effect and did not warn consumers of the side effect then the manufacturer could be liable to your husband. Under VA law it is not enough that the product caused him harm, he has to also prove they did not warn that this was a potential side effect and that they knew or should have known all along that it was.

Also, under VA law, there is a 2 year statute of limitations from discovery of the harm being caused by the product for him to file suit, but him being physically incapacitated and continually undergoing treatment would be grounds to possibly extend that statute of limitations.

So, if the medical records support the drug causing his problems AND the manufacturer failed to warn of such side effects, you need to take the documentation to a local product liability attorney for more in depth review to determine if you can get a suit in within a statute of limitation period.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney