Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

Personal Injury Law

My Doctor refuses to refill prescription for my Autistic

Customer Question
Grandson because I owe them...
My Doctor refuses to refill prescription for my Autistic Grandson because I owe them $86.00 which I tried to pay with my Care Credit card but said they "were not set up for it", so they can't wait? My Grandson needs this medication (Sertraline & Risperidone) he has enough for three days. We did miss his last appointment because we were told we could not be seen until the $86.00 was paid.
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: Virginia and this has happened several times but the last appointment on November 10. 2017.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing pertinent right now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/14/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Legally, if the doctor refuses to see a patient because money is due, they can do so. You would need to take your grandson to the local emergency room or urgent care if he is running out of medication before you can get him to another doctor or get this doctor paid. However, legally, you cannot force a doctor to see a patient unless it is a life threatening emergency under law. If this doctor makes a habit of denying care over an $86 bill, you may want to consider looking for a new doctor, as there really is just no law in VA to force the doctor to give you the prescription or force him to see your grandson in this case.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Hippocratic Oath that all Drs, take also has a Patients "oath" it is not governed by state but a physicians code, this all bothers me, to hang a "shingle" and to deny care , this goes a bit deeper.

Thank you for your reply.

While I do actually agree with you on that issue on the personal level, all I can do is address your issue on the legal level. The Hippocratic Oath says the doctor shall do no harm in treating patients. However, legally, there is no law that says the doctor must see or treat any patient other than in a life or death emergency and that is all you can legally hold the doctor liable for.

You can, however, file a complaint to the state medical board if you do not feel the doctor is completing his duty to his patients and they can investigate him. Once you file the complaint though, he has a right to terminate your grandson as his patient and force you to go find another doctor.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney