Personal Injury Law

Personal Injury Law Question? Ask Personal Injury Lawyers.

I live in NYC and on Novmbr 3 I was struck by a car making…

Customer Question
Hi- I live in NYC...
Hi- I live in NYC and on Novmbr 3 I was struck by a car making turn from the intersection- while I was in the crosswalk. Basiclly my elbow was severely shattered and I needed emergency surgery. My question deals with NO FAULT insurance VS Bodily Injury insurance (Settlement). Right now there is about 50,000 in NO FAULT MONEY which is paying for my medical expenses. My lawyer said that at the moment- there is a sum of $100,000 available to me for the bodily injury but that he is seeking additional funding from other sources- such as Homeowner's etc. My question is this- I KNOW i have to go to No Fault doctors for my medical treatment for this injury- but at any point in time, would I be able to use my ownpersonal health insurance whichwould allow me to choose a surgeon for a second opinion? Please explain how this works
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Personal Injury Law
11/29/2017
Personal Injury Lawyer: Seattle Scott, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Seattle Scott
Seattle Scott, Attorney

Once the no fault coverage has been used up, you regular health insurance benefits kick back in. If your regular doctor will agree to bill the no fault auto insurance, then you can get treatment like you normally would if you were using your health insurance. It is just a billing question.

Also understand that if your health insurance pays out for treatment for your injuries, your insurance company has the right to be repaid when you get your bodily injury settlement money, minus the legal fee you have to pay to get the other money, so health insurance usually gets back 2/3 of what they pay out.

Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.